Several Republican presidential candidates have begun meeting and will soon be making new demands for greater control over the format and content of primary debates. The candidates plan may include side-stepping party leaders and try to negotiate directly with TV networks over the ground-rules for the remaining debates, following problems with last week’s debate hosted by CNBC.
While most of the candidates seemingly don’t agree on a lot of things, they have reached an agreement and presented a very good case for liberal media bias when it comes to coverage of their campaigns and of course the way the debates are handled.
The GOP rallying point against the debate appeared to come at about the halfway point when candidate and Texas GOP Sen. Ted Cruz chastised the moderators for their questions — including one to fellow candidate Donald Trump about whether he was running a “comic book” campaign.
“This debate structure is not leading to the best candidate coming out of the debates,” GOP candidate and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said on “Fox News Sunday.” “If we continue with this process, I think it’s going to hurt our chances for winning in 2016,” he said.
Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus, who led negotiations on the 2016 schedule appears to be the target and impetus for the changes. Graham praised Priebus’ efforts to improve the party but said the existing debate process is going to “hurt our chances for winning in 2016.”
Priebus, in an apparent response to the candidates’ complaints, has suspended a debate to be hosted by NBC in February.
There have been four GOP debates so far — co-hosted by Fox News, ABC, CNN and CNBC, and eight more are scheduled